🔴 Website 👉 https://u-s-news.com/
Telegram 👉 https://t.me/usnewscom_channel
The U.S. military recently prevented nearly 6,000 ISIS prisoners in Syria from breaking free by relocating them to Iraq.
The approximately 6,000 ISIS prisoners “were being held in northern Syria” when fighting broke out between the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), who were in charge of guarding the prisoners, and the Syrian government, according to Fox News.
During the fighting, the SDF was reportedly forced to abandon its guard posts. This led to several dozen prisoners breaking free last month.
“Syria’s Interior Ministry said that some 120 detainees escaped from a prison that used to be under SDF control,” CNN reported on Jan.21. “Eighty-one have been captured, the ministry said Tuesday, adding that ‘intensive security efforts continue to track down the rest.’”
This is apparently escaped ISIS detainees arming themselves at a weapons depot in Al-Yarubiyah.
The future of Syria is bright. pic.twitter.com/Ve86TZU2U4
— Lindsey Snell (@LindseySnell) January 20, 2026
Concerns began to mount that all 6,000 might break free.
“If these 6,000 or so got out and returned to the battlefield, that would basically be the instant reconstitution of ISIS,” an unnamed senior intelligence official told Fox News, adding that the risk of this happening had been building for months.
Indeed, Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard warned in October that the transition to a new Syrian government after the fall of former President Bashar al-Assad could create the conditions for a jailbreak of epic proportions.
Gabbard subsequently deployed representatives to Syria and Iraq to begin negotiations on a plan to relocate the most dangerous prisoners from Syria’s SDF-run prisons to Iraq’s prisons.
Fears of a prison break skyrocketed in January when fighting between the SDF and the Syrian government erupted. This was around the time the previously mentioned 120 detainees escaped.
SYRIA | ESCALATION CONTINUES
Fighting between the Syrian army and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces is intensifying and spreading from Aleppo to Raqqa.
• Raqqa now the main battlefront
• Syria declares areas west of the Euphrates a closed military zone
• 2 soldiers… pic.twitter.com/L8KW3dxQwu— Mossad Commentary (@MOSSADil) January 17, 2026
Thankfully, negotiations with Iraq proved fruitful because the nation’s government feared “that if thousands of detainees escaped, they would spill across the border” and into their country.
Next came the actual transfer of prisoners from Syria to Iraq.
The senior intelligence official who spoke with Fox News credited U.S. Central Command CENTCOM for doing a great job surging resources, including helicopters, to the scene to get the job done.
“Thanks to the efforts… moving in helicopters, moving in more resources, and then just logistically making this happen, we were able to get these nearly 6,000 out in the course of just a few weeks,” they said.
US forces transfer ISIS prisoners from Syria to Iraq by buses escorted by armored vehicles in a move aimed at ‘ensuring that the terrorists remain in secure detention facilities’
Expected number of arrivals may exceed 7,000 ISIS members pic.twitter.com/SdEqqdVrHd
— RT (@RT_com) February 7, 2026
Next up was identification and accountability.
“FBI teams are [currently] in Iraq enrolling detainees biometrically, while U.S. and Iraqi officials examine what intelligence can be declassified and used in prosecutions,” Fox News notes.
“What they were asking us for, basically, is giving them as much intelligence and information that we have on these individuals,” Fox News’ intelligence source said. “So right now, the priority is on biometrically identifying these individuals.”
The State Department, meanwhile, is reportedly pressuring the prisoners’ home countries to take them back in.
Also of concern are the prisoners’ families, thousands of whom were previously held in the al-Hol camp in Syria but have since been released by the country’s government.
“As you can see from social media, the al-Hol camp is pretty much being emptied out,” Fox News’ source said, adding that it “appears the Syrian government has decided to let them go free.”
These are the ISIS women who were present in al-Hol Camp (al-Hol Camp was for ISIS families, and their number was about 40,000).
After the new Syrian government took control of this camp, it released many of them. pic.twitter.com/JaThfKEh5q
— Kurdistan (@Kurdistan_C) January 24, 2026
The primary concern is that the children in the camps will be radicalized and eventually recruited into ISIS.
This content is courtesy of, and owned and copyrighted by, https://www.bizpacreview.com and its author. This content is made available by use of the public RSS feed offered by the host site and is used for educational purposes only. If you are the author or represent the host site and would like this content removed now and in the future, please contact USSANews.com using the email address in the Contact page found in the website menu.
