🔴 Website 👉 https://u-s-news.com/
Telegram 👉 https://t.me/usnewscom_channel
OAN Staff Katherine Mosack
9:42 AM – Saturday, February 21, 2026
The Trump administration has proposed banning some investors from buying additional single-family homes, according to a White House memo cited by the Wall Street Journal.
The journal said that the memo, sent out on Thursday, announced a possible ban on all institutional investors with more than 100 homes from buying more, which critics blame for pricing out regular homebuyers by lowering the supply and inflating prices.
President Donald Trump stated last month that he was planning to instate a ban in order to help drive costs down, especially for young people looking to buy homes and start families. This plan is much more restrictive than investors expected, however, anticipating that it would apply to firms with more than 1,000 homes, according to the outlet.
Certain exemptions to the ban are listed in the memo, including for investors who build or heavily renovate homes to solely rent them out.
The Trump administration has been pressuring policymakers to add the ban to a housing package in either the House or the Senate.
“The President has made it clear that he is committed to signing legislation that truly makes purchasing a home affordable again, and a key ingredient is his popular proposal to ban large institutional investors from purchasing single-family homes,” White House spokesman Davis Ingle told The New York Post in a statement. “The White House is pleased with the collaboration coming from both chambers and both sides of the aisle as Congress works toward enactment of a housing package.”
Some have argued that the proposal will not make much of an impact on the housing market because firms that own 100 or more single-family homes only control about 2% of the country’s housing supply, according to John Burns Research and Consulting.
There would be a larger impact, however, on cities such as Houston, Miami, Phoenix and Las Vegas, where investment firms owned more than 20% of all residential houses, for example.
Large investors and private equity firms bought up hundreds of thousands of houses with cash offers after the 2008 financial crisis drastically cut home prices.
According to FedPrimeRate.com, the average price for a new home grew from 263,100 in December 2008 to $532,600 in December 2025. Realtor.com reports the national annual household income now required to afford a typical starter home is about $70,164, up more than 100% from $32,357 in 2019.
Stay informed! Receive breaking news alerts directly to your inbox for free. Subscribe here. https://www.oann.com/alerts
What do YOU think? Click here to jump to the comments!
Sponsored Content Below
