The Editor-in-chief of a major left-leaning news publication was charged with child pornography possession this Monday after he was mysteriously let go from the media outlet last month.
Slade Sohmer, Editor-in-chief of The Recount, was charged with possession and distribution of child pornography in Massachusetts. Sohmer was released Monday night on $100,000 bail.
Sohmer allegedly had “hundreds of child pornography images and videos” when he was arrested on October 18 Otis, Mass on Friday.
Additionally, he stands accused of producing a pornographic video involving a minor where he was instructing them to commit sexual acts. The child was identified by local authorities prior to Sohmer’s arrest.
Slade Sohmer, editor of left-wing news site ‘The Recount’ charged with possessing and disseminating “hundreds of child pornography images and videos.”
Assistant District Attorney Marianne Shelvey said this was one of the most “egregious” cases she has seen.
The News Movement, which owns The Recount, told the New York Post last month that Sohmer “is no longer editor-in-chief” of The Recount “following a company restructure exercise in early October to focus on our editorial and commercial plans.”
Sohmer was arrested weeks after authorities seized his electronics, meaning that his employers were likely tipped off to his illicit activities.
Authorities were first made aware of Sohmer’s activities after The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children sent then a video of a minor performing sexual activities on Snapchat. The IP address of the video was traced to Sohmer.