🔴 Website 👉 https://u-s-news.com/
Telegram 👉 https://t.me/usnewscom_channel
OAN Staff Katherine Mosack
11:53 AM – Thursday, February 19, 2026
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly Prince Andrew, Duke of York, was arrested and later released on Thursday — his 66th birthday — on suspicion of misconduct in public office. This follows after the former prince was stripped of his royal titles due to his long-standing association with the pedophile sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein.
Mountbatten-Windsor, 66, has consistently denied any wrongdoing in connection with his longstanding friendship with Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell, even as the association has overshadowed the British royal family for more than a decade.
Mountbatten-Windsor remains best known for a widely circulated 2001 photograph — taken in London and later confirmed as authentic through emails linked to Epstein and Maxwell — showing him with his arm around the waist of Virginia Giuffre, then Virginia Roberts, one of Epstein’s many victims, while Maxwell stands smiling nearby.
Giuffre had for many years publicly accused Mountbatten-Windsor of sexual abuse — allegations he has consistently denied. Giuffre allegedly died by suicide on April 25, 2025, at the age of 41.
King Charles III, Andrew’s older brother, issued a statement on Thursday through Buckingham Palace expressing his “deepest concern” over the arrest. He emphasized that “the law must take its course” and affirmed the royal family’s full cooperation with any investigation.
“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.”
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” said the king. “As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”
Allegations have surfaced claiming that Mountbatten-Windsor improperly shared classified internal government briefings and sensitive diplomatic correspondence with Epstein during their multi-year association.
Thames Valley police announced the arrest earlier in the day, but declined to identify the “man in his sixties” as the ousted prince at the time. The department added that it was “carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk” in relation to the case.
The late Queen Elizabeth II had stripped Andrew of his honorary military titles and commanded him to drop his royal duties, including charitable work, in 2019 after an interview with the British Broadcasting Company (BBC) touched on the disgraceful, mutually beneficial relationship he had with the American “financier.”
Then, in October, the former prince officially relinquished his royal title as the Duke of York, which is usually afforded to the British monarch’s second son. The title has since reverted back to the Crown, but will likely pass down to Prince Louis, Prince William’s son.
Additionally, the king stripped all other titles from his brother, including “his royal highness” and “Prince,” demoting him to be named “Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor” and releasing a statement in support of the women and girls abused by Epstein’s illicit operation.
After being evicted from Royal Lodge, Andrew’s home close to Windsor Castle, earlier this month, he moved to “Wood Farm,” a residence on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, where he was ultimately apprehended on Thursday.
Nonetheless, following several hours of intensive questioning, the former Duke of York was later released from custody without being formally charged. Authorities reiterated that the current investigation focuses specifically on misconduct in public office and the unauthorized distribution of sensitive state material. While his long-standing association with Epstein provides the broader backdrop for the inquiry, police further emphasized that these specific proceedings are not currently centered on sexual offenses.
This recent police intervention also coincides with the U.S. Department of Justice’s ongoing unsealing of thousands of documents related to the Epstein investigation. These records include 2010 email exchanges in which Epstein purportedly offered to facilitate a meeting between the then-prince and a young Russian woman.
During that same period, according to reporting by the Associated Press, Andrew had extended an invitation to Epstein for a private dinner at Buckingham Palace.
According to Danny Shaw, an expert on law enforcement in the UK, Andrew was likely placed in “a cell in a custody suite” with only “a bed and a toilet” as he awaited his police interview.
Despite all royal titles having been lost, Andrew reportedly remains eighth in line for the throne, as constitutional law governs the line of succession, even if he were convicted of a crime. It would take an Act of Parliament, his formally renouncing his place or converting to Catholicism, to exclude him from succession.
Stay informed! Receive breaking news alerts directly to your inbox for free. Subscribe here. https://www.oann.com/alerts
What do YOU think? Click here to jump to the comments!
Sponsored Content Below

